Gaffney | South Carolina Encyclopedia
· Seven hundred acres of Gaffney''s land was then laid out into town lots. A town government was formed in 1874, and Gaffney was incorporated on March 3, 1875. Largely because of its proximity to the railroad, the town initially experienced rapid growth. Four hundred citizens in 1880 became 1,631 within ten years, 3,937 by 1900, and 4,767 by 1910.